I never thought I'd be so addicted to television shows! I hardly ever watched TV before. Like never. I went years without television, in college, in the Peace Corps. And now, I still don't watch much TV, but I sure do enjoy television shows on Amazon.
It only took me years to figure out that I got free movies and shows with my Amazon Prime account. I've had Amazon Prime for three or four years and I thought it was only good for free shipping. I had no clue that I could stream movies and TV. And then two things happened: 1) My co-worker told me about streaming shows and movies for free on Amazon Prime, and 2) I got an iPad mini for my birthday.
And it has been all down hill since then.
The first show I started watching was Parenthood.
I would watch it while folding clothes and stuffing diapers. I downloaded the Amazon Prime app and could watch TV on my iPad, in my room, without fighting my husband for the remote. A miracle!!
I think I watched the first three seasons of Parenthood in a few weeks. It's hard stopping when the next show is just a click away. No waiting until the next week, or even the next hour. One show ends and you can just start watching the next. And Parenthood was sooooo good. I had no idea. Unfortunately, only the first three seasons were free, so I had to stop watching it (I am hoping when Season 5 starts this fall they will make season 4 free on Amazon Prime).
So after Parenthood I needed another show to watch. There are slim pickings on Amazon Prime and a lot of the shows I'm not familiar with, but I read some reviews and started watching Doc Martin, a British show that is aired on PBS.
It turned out to be hilarious and so much fun. I loved it. There were five seasons of Doc Martin but each season only had about 8 or so episodes. So it didn't take too long to get through all of those.
Then I randomly added a bunch of shows to my watch list and so my next show was Dance Academy, an Australian show.
I had never heard of it, but who doesn't like a good dance drama. It was a little cheesy, but I actually really liked it. It was like the movie Center Stage, but put into a TV series. Plus each episode was only 30 minutes so it was easy to get through them. There were only two seasons of that, so it was over quickly.
I had never heard of it, but who doesn't like a good dance drama. It was a little cheesy, but I actually really liked it. It was like the movie Center Stage, but put into a TV series. Plus each episode was only 30 minutes so it was easy to get through them. There were only two seasons of that, so it was over quickly.
I have now decided to take on Army Wives.
I had heard of it, but never seen a single episode. But it is SOOO good. And sad. I cry at least once every show. As a military brat growing up, I am very familiar with military life on a base. The show seems familiar to me - all the hierarchies, protocols, salutes, uniforms. It is like relieving my childhood, but from my mom's perspective. Makes me miss that close-knit military family and life on a military base. Although the base (or Post, since it is Army) is in South Carolina and I lived at Air Force bases overseas, so it is different. Still good and addicting though.
I had heard of it, but never seen a single episode. But it is SOOO good. And sad. I cry at least once every show. As a military brat growing up, I am very familiar with military life on a base. The show seems familiar to me - all the hierarchies, protocols, salutes, uniforms. It is like relieving my childhood, but from my mom's perspective. Makes me miss that close-knit military family and life on a military base. Although the base (or Post, since it is Army) is in South Carolina and I lived at Air Force bases overseas, so it is different. Still good and addicting though.
And Army Wives has seven seasons, so I have a ways to go before I have to move on. If I can survive the drama and sadness. I may not have enough tears!
I can tell you, watching TV shows on my iPad while doing laundry or washing dishes makes those chores go so much faster. It's a win-win. But seriously - I never thought I'd be watching so much television!
***********************************************
***********************************************
What shows do you really like?
Ever seen any of the shows above? Any Army Wives fans????



I am definitely a tv girl. As I get older, I have cut back on night time dramas - mostly because I am home all day with my daughter and she can't watch those shows with me, and because they just put bad thoughts in my mind (they glamorize lying, cheating, stealing, and sometimes murder! lol!). Some have stayed though. I love them. I am one of those weirdos who love the Vampire thing. Stop rolling your eyes, let me explain why. Twilight introduced Vampires who rise above their instincts and are good. This is what I take from it and love: we sometimes write off our actions to "we're only human," but maybe we can rise above, deny some of our instincts that don't line up with our morals, and be a better kind of person. Then I read Vampire Diaries, a book series my friend LOVED as a young girl and told me I had to read, which turned into a show (it's on netflix, not sure about amazon prime). A little less clean, and these Vampires are more real - they try to be good and rise above, but it's really hard. We watch them struggle with this. I identify a little more with these guys. I haven't gotten into True Blood, which I've been told has way more sex in it. Not my thing.
ReplyDeleteBesides that, I like the shows on ABC Family (The Fosters, Pretty Little Liars, Switched at Birth) because they're not so smutty, and I love HGTV, Food network, NatGeo, Discovery Channel - the only things I can watch with my 7 year old.
I also love Parenthood - reminds me of my own family. With the onslaught of reality tv shows, it's hard to find a show with a decent script. I got addicted to that new show The Fosters as well as The Newsroom. Both excellent shows! I record them and watch them at my leisure. For guilt-free viewing, I usually do my laundry simultaneously or pay bills online. It helps with the guilt -- just a little!
ReplyDeleteYou can watch the 4th season of parenthood on hulu for free! I just watched it this summer, and it was super addicting!!
ReplyDelete