12 June 2013

I'm gonna be a Princess



It's official.  I just signed up for the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  Yikes!  And that yikes is not for the distance, but for the price.  Seriously, there is no reason why Disney has to charge $160 to run a half marathon.  It's not like we get free entrance to the park or anything.  And it starts at 5:30am, so I kind of doubt they are losing any money on ticket sales.  Disney is one GREEDY company - and I just bought into it and paid an arm and a leg to run in one of their races.

I only did it because my sister has been talking about running this half marathon for her 30th birthday for years and I promised her I'd do it with her.  So, that means I have to register and pay to get down there.  It's not gonna be cheap, but it better be fun.  I haven't been to Disney World before (I went to Tokyo Disneyland when I was 5), so I am really excited to visit the parks.  Or park.  It's so crazy expensive that we will probably just visit one park for one day.  Evan will be just over a year old so it's not like he'll get much out of the experience - so we might as well wait until he's older before spending his entire college fund on Disney World.  A few years ago I went to Orlando on a work trip and stopped Universal Studios and saw Harry Potter - that was cool.  Not as cool as I though, but still a lot of fun.  And it was only not as cool as I thought because a lot of the attractions were roller coasters - and I hate roller coasters.

Hogwarts!

Hogwarts Express!

This will be my first real race since Marine Corps Marathon.  And that was a while ago.  I did that 4 mile race a couple of weekends ago but that wasn't super serious.  Especially since I ran with the jogger (which I won't be doing in this race).  I guess I better start training.

Not sure what the source for this is - sorry!

And being more serious about running.  At the moment I am running about three times a week - and not much.  It's hard getting in the time and being organized enough to run, but I will have to try harder.  The summer is less hectic because I don't have class, but come September I start classes again so it will be even more chaotic.  I love chaos (read: sarcasm).

The half marathon isn't until February, so I don't actually have to start training now.  However, if you don't provide them with a time before December they make you start in the last coral.  I do NOT want to be in the last coral.  So, there is a possiblity that my sister and I will be running Baltimore Half too.



Double yikes!  I HATE running in Baltimore because it is SO hilly.  I think it's hillier than San Francisco's marathon.  Everything always starts at Inner Harbor and then you have to go up from there - no matter what direction you go.  And some times you go up for miles.  I remember the first year they did the marathon, the first 16 miles were uphill.  Luckily they changed the course so it's not quite that bad anymore, but it's not good.  One would think I could use my marathon time from Oct. 2011 - but nope.  Disney wants a time from Feb. 2012.  Well, I was pregnant in Feb. 2012 so I don't have a time since then.  Baltimore's half marathon is in October, so that means training starts now.  Or close to now anyway.

After all this complaining, I am actually super excited.  I LOVE running and I really love training for an event.  I like marathons but the training takes up way too much time, so I am much happier training for a half marathon.  And I'm excited that my sister is starting to get into running.  She always hated running, but she's slowly learning to love it.  Yay!  Another running convert.

Now I just have to convince my older sister to start running!!

***************************************************

What races do you have planned this summer/fall?

Any big plans for your 30th birthday/Did you do anything amazing for your 30th bday?

8 comments:

  1. I love Baltimore... not running, I don't love running, but I really love the city. I only went once, but I had the best day, the weather was amazing, my parents were visiting, so maybe after not seeing my parents for 9 months, any city would be great:)
    Good luck on your training

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Baltimore too! It's such a great city. It's so unique and has a lot of hometown spirit. It's not as fun to run it. Glad you had fun here though, a lot of people give Baltimore such a bad rep because of the violence.

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way you do about Disney, but at the same time, it's on my running bucket list:) I think you're going to rock these races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I better get training though - I'm hoping that training with the BOB makes me extra speedy.

      Delete
  3. Whew! That is a lot of money to pay just to run! What does the money go to? Charity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - charity!! The money goes into the wallet of Disney. Unfortunately. You can run for charity but then you have to raise money - Disney just charges $160 for entrance to the race.

      Delete
  4. Good for you Kattrina - something that is healthy, great to look forward to - and an amazing experience to have with your sister. Good luck with the training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am excited about doing it with my sister. And about having a fitness goal - I haven't had one of those for a while.

      Delete

Your comments make me smile!!