22 March 2013

FIVE question Friday!

Thank goodness it is Friday!  I had an extremely long week.  I had to go to the office four days this week (I know – that sounds so pathetic) because I had a Congressional Briefing on Wednesday, my usual work-from-home day.  The briefing went well though, so that was nice.  It sure made me tired having to get up early four days  in a row though.  Boo.  This weekend will be busy, I can already feel it.  Let’s hope I can get something done.  On my list are: putting the rest of Evan’s clothes away, cleaning the bathrooms, laundry (as always), grocery shopping, and cooking.  Along with fun stuff like spending as much time with Evan as possible, taking lots of walks, and going for a run with my sister (and Evan).  Yay for the weekends!

Today I decided to play along with Mama M at My Little Life for Five Question Friday.  I haven’t done this for a while and I always find it fun.  I love answering questions!

FQF

Five Question Friday

  1. What advice would you give a newly married couple?
    That is hard.  I’m trying to think of the advice I got and what I found useful.  Maybe the best advice I would give would be to have fun and treat each other with respect.  Marriage is hard but wonderful at the same time.  The first year Ivan and I were married I felt like we fought about everything.  We’d never lived together and we’d been living in two different countries for three years prior to getting married.  It was hard to adjust to living together, it was hard for Ivan to adjust to living in the US, it was hard for each of us to adjust to the other person’s culture, etc.  After the first year things were a lot better.  However, it’s easy to become selfish and to think only of your own wants and needs and to forget that your spouse is a person too.  Oh, and maybe read that book about the 5 Love Languages – I haven’t read it but from the little I have seen, Ivan and I have completely different love languages.  Ok, so I don’t have great marriage advice…
  2. Who does more laundry around your house?
    Now, this is an easy question.  ME.  I do ALL the laundry around this house.  Ivan will sometimes fold clothes if I leave them in piles all over the place for a really long time.  Except he folds clothes weird so then I want to re-fold them anyway. 
  3. What items, if any, do you prefer to buy organic or make yourself?
    I buy as many organic items as possible.  I try to stick to the “Dirty Dozen” as much as possible but sometimes it’s hard to find organic potatoes without going to a specialty store.  I also buy organic dairy: milk, yogurt, cheese, eggs (for eggs I actually buy humane, not just organic/cage free). 

    As for foods I make at home – I try to make as many things from scratch as possible.  I make Evan’s baby food, I try to bake cookies instead of buy them, I make my own mac and cheese, I make my own hot chocolate, things like that.  Of course I buy some processed stuff like oatmeal and chips, etc., but I try to make as much at home as is reasonably possible (I do work full time, have a 6mo old, and take classes at night…so I don’t have time to make my own applesauce and things of that nature).
  4. What book/TV series would you recommend for a friend on bedrest?
    Book series:
    Harry Potter, Twilight, Stephanie Plum books (by Janet Evanovich), Girl with a Dragon Tattoo series, Child 44 series.

    TV Series: Parenthood, Gilmore Girls, Friends, NCIS, Sex in the City.
  5. So they say it’s spring, what does your “spring” look like at this very moment?
    Spring is 33*F and sunny.  No buds on the trees, a few flowers are pushing through but since it got below freezing last night they all looked very sad this morning.  Cherry blossoms are suppose to be blooming soon in DC but I haven’t seen any evidence that they want to come out yet.  At least we didn’t get a foot of snow like my parents did!

 

Now it’s your turn!  Answer any of the questions in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I promise you DO have time to make your own applesauce! (use the crock pot!) It's SO much better!!!

    If you can make baby food, you CAN make applesauce! I'm a "from scratch" cooker too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - I could probably easily make applesauce. That was a bad example! I would like to make my own bread too. I should make my own beans more often too. I usually used canned beans for recipes and then make my own beans when we are having beans as a meal. If I had more time I would definitely make more things from scratch. I will try applesauce soon - I hadn't thought about the slow cooker for that - great idea!

      Delete

Your comments make me smile!!