I still haven't heard from Maryland and even if I did get in, without living expense loans there is no way I can actually go. My husband's salary won't even cover our rent, so we can't survive on it. We'd need a little money to live off of and I am not sure that federal loans cover that.
So I am trying to figure out what my options are...which are few and far between. Of course I will try and meet with the financial aid people at Hopkins and see what they say. But I have to be realistic...I kind of doubt they will give me an additional $38,000. Maybe it's best to wait a year and apply to a direct-entry Master's program, because I would at least get more federal aid for a program that was considered graduate level. Maybe it's best to just think realistically and put nursing school on hold and think about my life plan if I were to not attend. Or maybe look at the RN program at the community college and see whether it's a possibility to go there part time and then transfer to a RN-MSN program or something. None of the options sound great to me - since I kinda had my heart set on attending this fall.
I don't know. It was so much easier making decisions when I only had to worry about myself. Maybe it was a bit selfish to think that I could go back to school with a husband and child to support. I will have to ponder these options for a while and see what works out. When I applied I was just hoping something would work out and a miracle would happen and I'd somehow be able to go. Umm, not the best plan. Miracles don't happen that often for me.

I'm sorry the nursing school is so expensive. :-( I did community college with my computer science degree for as long as I could before I transferred to a university for my Bachelor's degree. I worked closely with the university to make sure every single credit would transfer before I signed up for a class. It worked out really well and I saved thousands and thousands. All that to say, I support whatever you decide. There are loads of ways to accomplish your dreams. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry, I hope you will find a great solution, that will work for you:)
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry that it is so expensive. You should be allowed to go. It is not fair you can not attend nursing school. You should not have to put your dreams on hold. You have such a good attitude. Your husband needs to get a better paying job or another part time job. Time goes fast and you will be bitter if you get to be 40 and waited too long. I am praying for you.
ReplyDelete