06 March 2014

Lent, Cold, and Interviews

The snow is melting!  Yay! I am so ready for the spring.  I already have a list of ideas of activities I'd like to do this spring - like the zoo, hiking, more running, long walks, playgrounds, nature centers, etc.  I am a bit sick of being cooped up indoors.  However, I really need to learn some fun winter activities if we are eventually going to move north.  Evan loves the snow though.  He is obsessed with his shovel!

Instagram: mapleandmud
This was him on Monday when we got our (last) snowfall.  He was so excited about shoveling the balcony.  And he was constantly saying he wanted to go outside and banging on the front door with his shovel.  Yesterday I took him out for at least 40 minutes and by the time we came back in and took off his jacket and boots, he was ready to go out again. 


How do you like that new hat?  I got it at RUUM for $2.99.  Yeah, what a deal!  They were having a sale and all hats and mittens were only $2.99.  We got him those red mittens too, but he thought it was too hard to grip the shovel so kept taking them off.  Maybe that is why we only have mismatched mittens these days!

Yesterday was the start of Lent.  I had high hopes of making it to church but the service was at 7:30pm and that is just a little too late for Evan.  He's a handful at church in the morning when well-rested...the last thing I wanted was to bring him at the end of the day right around his bedtime.  

Here are the things I've decided to give up for the next 40 days:

1) Meat : this is a big one but I decided that I wanted to give up something big and serious this year.  Something that would make me think more and reflect more.  So, meat it is.  I was a vegetarian for eight years, so it's not like it's impossible...it will just be difficult with Ivan being such a huge meat-eater.

2) My iPad in the evenings: I feel like I've gotten addicted to playing with my iPad in the evenings when I get home and I used to never do that.  So, I am going to try and cut back and not look at it after I get home.  The only exception is to watch movies/TV after Evan goes to bed (after he falls asleep with me in the rocking chair I like to hold him for a bit more while I watch a bit of TV or part of a movie.  Once I leave the room I have a ton of stuff to do so there is no time.  However, there is a bit of peace and calmness that remains right after Evan falls asleep.  Also, the other exception is using my iPad for recipes (I just can't also check my email and Facebook).

3) Useless internet searching: Yup, every time I turn my computer on I feel like I need to click on all the current trends so I know what is going on in the world.  It's like a black hole and it is tough pulling myself out of it.  No more.  My time is too precious to waste reading pointless articles...even if it is fun.

And every Lenten season I also like to focus a little on giving more, rather than just giving up.  So this year here are the areas I am giving more:

1) I would like to spend more time with my nun friend.  

My nun friend is the one in red - this was her 80th birthday (like 5 years ago)
She is getting sicker and I am afraid she will not be around much longer and I really want to spend as much time with her as possible.  Plus, she doesn't get a lot of visitors and I hate to think of her passing the days alone.

2) Give more of myself to the church.  I would like to get a little more involved.  The church is really big and sometimes I find it overwhelming, but I would like to meet at least a few people and attend at least some activities.  Or at least make it to mass!

Ok, those are my Lenten promises.

And lastly, I got some exciting news the other day.  I was invited for an interview at Hopkins!  They sent me an email saying my application had passed the first round of review and the next step was an interview.  I know it is still far from an acceptance letter and even further from a scholarship of any sorts -but it's a step in the right direction.  The interview is tomorrow!!  Yikes!  I thought it wouldn't be until next week, but they wanted to schedule them as quickly as possible.  I hope I am ready for an interview...the last time I interviewed was for my current job about 6.5 years ago!  I am usually the one interviewing!  I'll need all of the luck and prayers I can get, so feel free to wish me tons of luck or say a prayer or two for me. :-)

And because no post is ever complete with out an adorable photo of my son - here he is in all his bed head glory!


It's possible his hair looks like that because he hasn't been sleeping well and every night he tosses and turns to no end.  Keeping the both of us up all night long.  It has been really fun....

6 comments:

  1. Oh the internet searching. I feel like every time I have a question I have to run to the internet to google it. I try to remember that Most of my questions are dumb and don't deserve the time it takes to look up the answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing! It's like - how did I survive when I couldn't google every single thing. And then I get distracted and end up looking up a billion other things. Very annoying!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the interview, that is fantastic!

    And I love your plans of lent sacrifices. I need less time on the computer too. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess we'll see how it goes - not everyone who gets an interview gets in. And if I get in, I then have to figure out how to pay for it. Boo. And at least you don't spend all day at an office on the computer and then go home and spend more time on the computer! I feel like I could take a few hours off a day - it's not like anything happens that can't wait until morning.

      Delete
  3. Ahh! Best of luck with your interview! That's wonderful news!

    I have leaned more towards Lenten promises in the past, too. I'm still struggling to find the right one for this Lenten season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lot going on with going back to work and being a new mom - it's hard to think of promises on top of all that!

      Delete

Your comments make me smile!!