This morning I woke up and it was SNOWING. Yay!! It was the perfect amount – enough to make everything white and sparkling, but not enough to make me stress about getting to work. Here is a picture from my office.
Ok, that is a view from my office building, not my office.
This is the view from my office…at least I have a window, right? Maybe? Who wants to stare at a brick wall. And actually, I never have the blinds open because I am terrified that I will one day forget to close them while I’m pumping and the people in that office across the alley will be able to see me. How humiliating would that be????
But back to the snow. I only like a ton of snow on the weekends, on vacation, or if it’s going to be enough to close the government. That only happened during Snowpalooza 2010. It was awesome – the government closed for almost two weeks and since we follow the government, we closed for almost two weeks.
This small amount of snow didn’t close the government. Or my office. So off to work I went. It has been freezing though. I know you people who live in Minnesota or Wisconsin or Montana or Alaska are probably giving me mean looks when I say it’s been freezing, but here in Maryland a temperature of 13 degrees is freezing (and scientifically speaking it’s freezing too). The other day the wind chill was –6. That’s cold.
I had to bundle myself up (and take the token photo in my office bathroom) and even where a hat. It has to be really cold for me to wear a hat.
It was also too cold for me to go running. I don’t have running clothes for –6 degrees. I don’t even know what those running clothes would be. How would you prevent frostbite on your nose? No clue.
In this cold weather, I have learned a few things.
- My work shoes are not meant for cold weather. My toes freeze waiting for the bus. No wonder people have boots.
- My work pants are really thin and the cold air seeps right through them turning my legs bright red.
- I am super happy that I got a real winter coat last year for Christmas. It is Under Armour (my favorite) and it keeps me really warm.
- Those duraflame logs may look pretty but they don’t provide any heat whatsoever.
That’s all I’ve learned.
Hope you’re keeping warm wherever you are!!!
Do you like cold weather or warm weather?
Do you have a fireplace? Real wood or duraflames?
We never use our gorgeous wood burning fireplace because it makes a big mess! That and you're supposed to have your chimney inspected every year before you use it. Oh yeah, and in a single family home, like we live in, the fireplace heats that room, but makes the rest of the house colder. My husband explained it to me once, but I forget the details.
ReplyDeleteI'm a huge fan of snow days and mandatory movie days in pjs with loads of homemade cookies. HOWEVER, shoveling makes me grumpy. And when my husband has to work, I have to shovel. Grumpy. :-/
Yeah, I agree, the fire place is messy. Ivan loves it though and he cleans all the ashes up so I don't mind if he starts a fire. I wouldn't say it warms the house up at all though. We were burning duraflames but then today some guy came and sold us some wood so we'll try that one of these days. The condo has the chimney cleaned, so we don't have to worry about that. My parents have a fancy fireplace that has a blower and it actually heats the house. That is the purpose of it. We don't really need that around here though, it's not normally this cold!
DeleteAnd I hate shoveling too. When we lived with my sister Ivan shoveled all the time. Now the condo shovels so we don't have to do anything. We even have covered parking so we don't have to scrape the car either. Win win!
The fire looks so cozy - as does the coat! I'm with you! I have to stay warm and wear lots of layers:)
ReplyDelete