08 January 2013

Christmas in Vermont

As I typed the title to this post, I realize that it sounds so quaint and wonderful.  Who wouldn’t love to spend a Christmas in Vermont?  Skiing, ice skating, lots of snow, sledding, hot chocolate, warm fires, fun times.  Although we go to Vermont every year to visit my parents, it’s pretty much as fun as it sounds.  Ok, so we don’t stay at a ski lodge (which is fine because I hate skiing) and Ivan and I sleep in the basement on a fold-out couch – but to us it’s perfect.  To tell you the truth, we love the basement because we get our own thermostat and can make it toasty warm down there.  And sometimes my parents have the hot tub turned on and the hot tub room is right off the basement living room.  We didn’t hot tub it this year though.

We had such a fun time this year and I got my wish:

DSCN1623

A beautiful snow storm!!  Complete with 18 inches of snow!!!  Exactly what I wanted!  Unfortunately it was so cold that we didn’t take Evan out to play (plus he doesn’t have a snowsuit and it was pretty windy and blustery).  But he enjoyed the snowfall from inside the house.
It was Evan’s 1st Christmas, which was super exciting.  Holidays are SO much more fun with kiddos.  Because we are dorks we decided to do Christmas pajamas so Ivan and I had matching pants and Evan had a cute little reindeer onesie.  We searched and searched for completely matching sets, but I couldn’t find any.  I’ll have to start my search earlier next year.  I didn’t take a picture, so you’ll have to imagine it.  My aunt and uncle from New Hampshire came over on Christmas Eve and stayed through Christmas dinner, so that was extra fun.  My mom took lots of photos of Evan in front of the Christmas tree but I don’t have copies of those yet – so I’ll post them a bit later.

Evan had the time of his life.  He thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with Mimi, Papa, Aunt Elizabeth, Aunt Barb, and Uncle Mike, and the dogs (Mishka and Kuma).  When we returned home he went through a bit of attention withdrawal I think – and he had to start napping in his crib again.  No more naps in peoples arms all day long!  He was very upset but has slowly adjusted.

Here is a photo recap of our time!

Spending lots of time with Mimi – he also loved bath time with Mimi, she played with him in the bath way more than Mommy ever does!

DSCN1607


Taking naps with Papa – this is the same activity he does with his Daddy…

DSCN1608


Hanging out with his cool Aunt Elizabeth.  Notice the above and below outfits – we made sure he fit into Vermont culture by buying him his own flannels shirts.

DSCN1617


 And spending Christmas Day with his *great* Aunt Barb and Uncle Mike!

DSCN1616


He also sat around while I worked.  Yup, I had only been back to work for three weeks before taking two weeks off for Christmas and I had some reports that HAD to get done before the New Year.  So, I did a bit of work while I was there – nothing too horrible and I finished it quickly. 

DSCN1597


Notice how one sock is off.  That seems to be the case a lot these days.  He has finally found his toes and loves to take his socks off (when they haven’t fallen off already) and suck on his toes.
Hanging out by the fire.  This picture was taken from the couch above, it sat right in front of the fire place – a perfect place to hang out and read, nap, or chat.  Or just keep warm when the snow was falling.

photo-1


Lots of naps in Mommy’s arms (or any of the above people’s arms).  He was totally spoiled and hardly ever took a nap in the crib in the basement.  But seriously, wouldn’t you just want to hold this little guy in your arms and look at him all day????

photo


We had such a fun time in Vermont – got some great Christmas presents, played some games, went bowling, at Chinese, ate 5000 cookies, hung out with family, and just relaxed.  It was so nice and I can’t wait to do it again!

Oh, and did I tell you we brought our dog, Dolce?  Yup, the dog and the baby shared the back seat in our not-big-enough car.  And just so you know, Dolce is HUGE.  He weighs about 75 pounds.  It took us 12 hours to get to Vermont because it was raining pretty hard the entire drive.  We only stopped three times, which I think was a record.  Usually Ivan wants to stop a million times to eat and pee and eat some more, but this time we only stopped when Evan woke up and wanted to eat.  And then we also walked the dog.  The drive back took 11 hours, so it was a bit shorter.  Both Evan and Dolce were super well-behaved.  And Dolce even behaved with his doggie relatives at my parents’ house.

DSCN1628

Yup, my parents have TWO white, fluffy dogs.  Dolce is in the middle, Mishka is on the left, and Kuma is on the right.  Dolce and Kuma are actually brothers – they came from the same litter…so they are both a bit on the crazy side.  Mishka is an angel.
I hope you had a great holiday too!

10 comments:

  1. What a magical Christmas you had -- and isn't it so much sweeter with Evan to share it with -- and to share Evan with (everyone)? So happy that you relished in the cosy comfort of your parents' home and in the serene beauty of your Vermont roots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much sweeter with Evan! Going home is always comfy - however, Vermont really isn't my home. My parents moved there about 7 years ago - so I don't really have Vermont roots. but as they say, "Home is where your heart is" or maybe "Home is where you hang your heart" so while we are in Vermont, we are home.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, is Evan adorable! I love all of these pics! And Christmas in Vermont does sound quaint - reminds me of "White Christmas"! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Meghan - I think he's pretty adorable too, but I'm pretty biased.

      Delete
  3. I love the pictures! I'm so glad you had a great Christmas. :-)
    I am a Ferber method kind of mom, and even I think you can never hold a baby too much. I never regret holding Kara through a nap while other things didn't get done. Hold your baby while you can, you'll blink and he'll be 6 and a half, like Kara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could do the Ferber method - we'll have to see what method we use when it comes time to sleep train. Our pediatrician doesn't recommend doing anything until he's 5.5-6 months old, so we have a bit of time. Until then it's crib for the first half of the night and co-sleeping for the second half. And I definitely hold Evan all the time but since he goes to daycare at my sister's, he needs to be able to sleep in a crib sometimes. She would not appreciate it if he cried all day because she wasn't holding him!

      And I believe you - I blinked and he's four months! Yikes - I already want another one (jk - please don't give me another one right now).

      Delete
    2. 5 months old! Okay, maybe I didn't do Ferber. If your 14 month old toddler is bored and doesn't want to go to sleep, so you let her cry, is that still considered Ferber?

      Delete
    3. I'm not an expert but I think the Ferber method is more for babies 3-5 months (where you let them cry for longer periods of time each night and you comfort them but don't pick them up and rock them to sleep - that is the most basic explanation, it's a bit more involved than that). I think it's completely different if you let your 14 month old cry!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe how adorable he is, and I love the flannel shirts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was also smitten with the flannel shirts. Since my sister had all girls, all I ever saw were adorable dresses and outfits and I was afraid boy clothes wouldn't be very cute. But they are! It is as much fun looking at baby boy clothes as it is girl clothes.

      Delete

Your comments make me smile!!