Today I have decided to link up with Mama M at Five Crooked Halos and participate in her Five Question Friday. If you think the questions are fun and you want to link up, just click on over! Here goes nothing!
- Flu mist? Flu shot? Or take your chances?
This is a tough one this year. I used to be in the “take your chances” category – the only time I ever got a flu show was when I was in the Peace Corps and I didn’t have a choice (I got all kinds of wacky vaccinations). Other than that, I have never voluntarily gotten a flu shot. Why? Well, a lot of the scientific research I’ve read have all shown that the flu shot does not prevent the flu very well. It doesn’t give you the flu (contrary to some popular myths), but washing your hands can prevent the flu just as much as actually getting the shot. And I wash my hands a lot.
HOWEVER, this year my sister’s girls all got really sick (and the littlest one was even hospitalized – and she’s only a month old). This has made me reconsider my flu shot philosophy. Although I would most likely survive the flu, little baby Evan is much more vulnerable since he’s so little. I sure would hate to get the flu and then give it to him. Yes, he could very easily pick up the flu at daycare and I can’t really prevent that. However, I am thinking that this year I might get it. And I might get it today while I go grocery shopping. Maybe if I get the flu shot AND wash my hands, I’ll be extra safe. - Do your kids have iPads? What are some good educational apps? Price?
No, my 4 month old son does not have an iPad. Nor do I. Although this is really on my wish list and maybe one day I will enter the technology age and get an apple product that is not 10 years old (like my iPod Nano that my sister bought for me back in 2008). Mostly likely it won’t happen – I’ll get an iPad right as iPads are retired for something cooler. - What are your favorite boy/girl baby names?
Obviously EVAN is my favorite boy name – as evidenced by the cutie below!
I also like Nathanial and Levi. As for girl names, I really like Evelyn (which we would never name our girl because then we’d have Evan and Evelyn), Natalia (if we had a Christmas baby), and Savannah (which we will never use because the Spanish pronunciation of that name is Sabana and that means sheet – like a bedsheet - and my husband is opposed to naming our daughter Sheet). - If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, which apple do you choose to eat (red/green/gala/etc.)?
First, I choose to eat an organic apple. That really limits my choices at our regular grocery store. So, I have been eating Fuji apples for a while because the only choices for organic apples are Fuji, Red Delicious, and Granny Smiths. And now that we are so broke and organic apples are pretty pricey (like $3 a pound) I am switching to eating half an apple a day instead. I just can’t bring myself to eat conventional apples while I’m breastfeeding. If I didn’t read articles daily on the effects of pesticides on kids (at work), then I might be able to just eat a regular apple. However, little voices in my head scream “Poison, Poison” when I try to save money and by conventional products. So half a Fuji apple it is. - What is your favorite place to sneak away to for peace and quiet? Why?
The bathroom? That’s pretty much the only time I get privacy in the house. Sometimes when I want to read my book, I take it to the bathroom and just sit there and read for a while. It’s pathetic, I know. However, our apartment is pretty tiny and with my husband and baby – someone always needs my attention. So, if I want to be left alone for ten minutes, the bathroom is the place to go. Or sometimes I walk the dog. At work I usually go for a run and get plenty of time to think then, so that’s good. I don’t often need too much time alone to think – so I guess that’s good because time like that is hard to come by.
Ok – what about you?
Have you gotten the flu shot?
What are your favorite types of apples?
P.S. Yesterday I posted about using cloth diapers, and I totally forgot that I had this picture of Evan in one of his BumGenius diapers. Doesn’t he look so adorable – although you can get a sense of the bulkiness. It’s not super stiff though – he doesn’t walk around like he’s riding a horse or anything. Ok, so he doesn’t walk around, but he doesn’t sit with his legs sprawled apart or anything.
New Follower! Found you on My Little Life.. Love your answers! When you have time, stop by my blog at kjaggers.com and if you like what you see.. follow back! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by! I will head over and check your blog out too. Have a great weekend!
DeleteI usually also take a chance and don't get the flu shot. Getting Jonas haven't really changed that, I figured since I hardly ever got sick before getting pregnant, and I do work in a department store where I'm around a lot of people, well I figured my immune system would be pretty good. I do believe my choice has been a good one so far, I seem to be the only one at work who haven't been sick with the flu, the worst I got was a cold!
ReplyDeleteI don't really get sick too much either, which is why I never got it before. It has hit epidemic proportion here though - so it makes me a bit nervous. And I figure even if it doesn't help, it can't hurt. However, it appears that everyone is sold out of the vaccine, so it may not be up to me whether I get a short or not. Hopefully this is the peak and I can ride it out safely!
Delete