It is a bit hard finding time to run when I have a newborn four-month old at home (how long is a newborn called a newborn???). By the time I get home from work it is 6:30pm and I have too much to do. Plus, when I get home I want to see my baby and tickle him and make him smile and catch up with my husband. Not lace up my shoes and go for a solo run. It is also dark and freezing by the time I get home – a huge deterrent.
When I work from home, I could go for a run but I am more excited to be done work early and spend time with the baby and husband. So I usually don’t. I am “supposed” to do strength training on work-from-home days but I haven’t gotten myself organized to do that yet. One day it will happen.
So, the only other option I have left is to run during my lunch hour at work. This works for now because it is freezing outside and I don’t sweat too much. We don’t have showers in our office building so I pretty much have to change back into my work clothes after going for a run. I usually cool off while I eat my lunch and then change. If I am a bit sweaty, I wipe off with Ponds Wet Cleansing Towelettes. It’s not the same as a shower, but it works just fine.
^^After getting my run on^^
It is nice running during lunch because it gets me away from my computer and recharges my brain. I get tired of running around the White House and National Mall over and over and over again, but I’ll live. It is the best option because it has the least number of streets to cross. City running annoys me because I have to stop for so many lights that I feel like I don’t go anywhere. People walking catch up to me every block. Once I get to the mall area in DC there aren’t any lights and I can run a bit easier.
Sometimes I am too busy to run during lunch though, so that is annoying. Plus, I sometimes get passive aggressive remarks from coworkers about how I don’t have enough work if I have enough time to run and get my work done. First, I try to be as efficient as possible. Second, I work really long days. I am in the office from 7:30am until 4:50pm – that’s almost a 9.5 hour day. So, I don’t feel too guilty getting a run in when I have the time. I am not running 10 miles during lunch or anything. The most I do is 4 miles but that is rare. I usually only have time to squeeze in a 3 mile run. Obviously, if I have to choose between meeting a deadline or going for I run, I meet my deadline.
And if it is below 20*F outside, I don’t run. I don’t really have clothes for that temperature, so I skip it. If we had a gym at work I could run on a treadmill, but we do not.
After having a baby and having way less time, I find that I am much more motivated to go for a run at lunch. I know that if I don’t get my run in that day at that specific time, I won’t have a chance to make it up. I can’t just go another day because there aren’t many other options. So, unless it’s impossible to squeeze in, I am usually out there running around the monument during lunch.
^^Back in my work clothes, after a good run^^
See, you can hardly tell I went for a run. Just my hair is a bit ugly since I had it in a ponytail for the run and then tried to shake it out afterwards. Now, once summer comes and it’s 95*F outside, I’m not sure what I’ll do. Maybe I’ll take a short lunch and then run after work before getting on the bus. We’ll see what happens when the time comes.
When do you get a run in?
Anyone else run during lunch?
I also use my hour lunch to work out -- in the summer I walk/run and in the winter months I go to the YWCA which is a 10 minute walk from my office. I take my lunch late in the day so I don't have to be sweaty for too much of the day. I have found that this is the best use of my lunch hour. When I get home there are just too many other things I need to do, and honestly, sometimes I am just too darn tired! Good for you Kattrina!
ReplyDeleteI am definitely too tired when I get home. And too lazy! There is a YMCA right around the corner from my office too - it even has a pool. However, I get free gym membership since I work at the golf course (the golf course is owned by the same company that owns the gym), so I can't justify paying for the YMCA too. It's a shame because I would probably use it more since it's close to the office. Good for you for getting out and making it to the gym! Some days it can be really hard!
DeleteA baby is called a newborn only for the first month, then an infant until 12 months old, when they are called a toddler. Aren't you glad I know these things? :-)
ReplyDeleteGood for you for running! Don't worry about the summer - you'll have a much older baby and life will be different. That's one thing that made me happy and sad at the same time - life 6 months from now will be very different. Life with a newborn, life with a 6 month old, life with a 12 month old, life with an 18 month old, etc, etc. So different. Sad because it goes quickly, a relief for those never ending days of crying.
I love your blog and watching you enjoy motherhood!
Good thing you know that. I officially have an infant. And I realize time is slowly slipping away. Sometimes I think things like, "I can't wait until he reaches for me" but then I tell myself - that will happen soon enough, just enjoy the present.
DeleteAnd thanks for the blog compliment. I love reading your blog too. And I especially love motherhood. I always knew I would though - I have loved kids from the time I was little and babysat all the time. If I weren't so old and poor I'd have tons of little kiddies running around!