19 July 2012

Birth Class Drop-outs

It's official.  Hubs and I have missed a total of 5 Bradley Method classes.  I know, I know - how prepared are we going to be if we never show up.  It wasn't all my fault though.  We missed the first one because I was on a business trip to Atlanta.  We missed the second and third because I was on a business trip to Las Vegas.  We missed the fourth last week because I was too tired.  And we missed tonight's class because I was too tired.

So, work and being tired seem to be to blame.  We really had plans to go today but it just didn't happen.  I had a semi-breakdown this afternoon and then we had to drive 45 minutes for my pre-natal visit and then an hour in the opposite direction to pick up our dog from his grooming appointment and then would have had to drive 30 minutes in another direction to get to class.  I didn't feel like it.  Plus, by the time we got home from picking up the dog, walking him, and grabbing a bite to eat it was almost 7pm - and that's what time class starts.  But we were 30 minutes away.  I feel badly - especially since we spent $300 on the classes and then have missed half.  I'm hoping she lets us make some of them up or at least borrow some of the videos to watch at home.  The information is interesting but by the end of the week, by 7pm, I'm pretty exhausted.

Today should have been nice and relaxing because I took a sick day.  I usually work from home when I have a doctor's appointment but I decided to just take the entire day as a sick day instead.  I thought I'd have some time to relax and catch up on life before my appointment, but it didn't work out that way.  Hence the mini-breakdown.  And by mini, I mean mini.  I don't actually have real breakdowns so really all that happened was that I wanted to cry.  A meltdown usually means that I actually cry.  That's pretty much it.

So what instigated my mini-breakdown?  Well, I got up and drove hubs to work and then came home.  I checked my work email (I had some press statements that I was waiting to get back and wanted to send out today - so wanted to make sure I checked my email a few times).  No one had emailed me since it was only 6:30am so I decided to take a nap.  I fell asleep until 9:15!  I then got up and flew into the shower and then rushed to get Dolce to his grooming appointment by 10am.  We were only a few minutes late (ok, more like ten).

After dropping him off I headed to PetSmart because I wanted to pick up a cover for our car seats to protect them from Dolce's massive amount of hair.  It's kind of embarrassing when we have someone in our car and they emerge looking like they just rolled around in a cotton bin!  I also picked up a few toys because Dolce didn't have any toys and I wanted him to have a few things to play with.  Next stop was Target because I was hoping to pick up a few things for the house.  I mainly wanted something to put our shoes on but ended up eliminating that from my list and instead buying a shower caddy to put my shampoo on, a new 10" frying pan (mine has a bunch of scratches on it and I worry about cancer), a mitten that gets dog hair off fabric, and a stud finder (as in studs found in houses, not good-looking men!).

I started getting pretty stressed because everything was adding up and we are trying to save money and I keep "throwing" it all away.  Moving and dogs are really expensive!

When I got home I got sucked into work and did that for a while - until hubs called me to ask if I had gotten my emissions test done. 

Whoops!  That was the other thing to do on my list and it had TOTALLY slipped my mind.  I had already asked for an extension so I don't have much more time.  So I looked for the emissions slip but couldn't find it.  I still haven't had time to fully unpack the house and so many things are still "lost".  I guess that's one of the things.  Apparently you can get your emissions test with your car registration though, so I figured that was good enough.  However, when I got to my car and decided to look for the registration, all I found was an old registration that expired in 2011. 

Ahhh!

That won't work and my new registration had come in October so I had NO IDEA where it might be.  So much for being organized.  Somehow I had managed to get my registration stickers on my license plate but had completely misplaced my actual registration card.

No emissions test today then.

I did go online and order a new registration for my car though.  And since it wouldn't come for a few weeks I figured I should print the temporary registration they give you - just in case hubs or I get stopped.  Well, I had never used the old printer my dad had given me last year so I pulled it out and tried to set it up.  After about an hour of setting it up and finding all the cords and printing the documents - it became apparent that it was out of ink and you couldn't make any of the registration information out. 

So, I gave up and decided that I wasn't going to do the emissions test and I would just print the emissions out at work.

But by now it was time for me to pick up hubs and head to our appointment.

So I got none of the things I wanted to get done, done.  Like wash our towels, put away our clean clothes from last week, wash the dishes, unpack, hang-up pictures, and RELAX.  Hence, the mini-meltdown and not going to class.

There is just too much to do!

And I started to hyperventilate when the receptionist was making my next few appointments and she was saying things like 36 week and 39 weeks and things like that.  I am running out to do things before Maple Baby comes!!!!

Hubs made me happy though when he decided to skip his golf league so he could go with me to my pre-natal visit.  I didn't even make it seem like he should come - I told him that I was totally fine going alone.  However, he said he really wanted to go with me so we went together.  I thought that was sweet.

And then I got a package in the mail from my lovely aunt with a bunch of onesies for Maple Baby!  She said that it was sad I only had one onesie and I was almost 8 months pregnant - so she sent a bunch.  And they were soooooooo cute!

And hubs said maybe we can play Yahtzee tonight.  And playing games always puts me in a good mood.  I'm trying to relax a bit because I keep reading about how stress really affects the baby and I don't want to give my baby ulcers.  And poor Maple Baby already had to live through A&P II with me and experience all that stress, and the stress from moving, and the stress from my trip to Vegas, and the stress of having so many things to buy and no money.  Ugg, poor Maple Baby.


How was your Thursday?

Were you stressed during your pregnancy at all?  If so, did your kids turn out ok?

Are you happy tomorrow is Friday???

3 comments:

  1. I was stressed with my first but then around week 37 I figured, who cares. I had my hospital bag packed, the room ready, everything that was important was done.. everything was extra and I let it go. It felt GREAT. Then I had her at 39 weeks so she was a week early and I was just fine with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully by week 37 I'll have my bag packed and the room ready too! Still haven't done any of that yet. The baby's room is filled with boxes of junk that I don't know what to do with. Ugh. And 39 weeks is a great time for arrival!

      Delete
  2. Kattrina - no worries - really. When I was pregnant with my first baby, I was 21 and my hubby and I were living in a one bedroom cockroach/mouse infested 4 story walk up (4th floor-no elevator)and were only making minimum wage. We only had 6 short months to get sorted. We moved into a 2 bdrm apt (my little sis shared the room with baby), we didn't have a nursery let alone a stroller. In fact we didn't have a diaper bag! And funny enough -- we managed just fine! We had the diapers and a few changes of clothes, a crib, musical mobile, blankets and zip up grocery bag to put the stuff in when we travelled. When I was trying to get baby to sleep (we didn't have a rocking chair), I just bounced up and down on my bed. Life was simple - but despite all of the marketing and self-help books, babies really don't need alot to thrive --food, love and diapers! So take a breath; keep doing what you are doing- prioritize; enjoy the moment and release all of that over which you have no control. Mamas tend to be hard on themselves. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile!!