21 August 2014

Thursday's Random Thoughts

I had so many thoughts about what I was going to write about today, but now I can't think of any of them.  So, I guess I'll give you some randomness.  Here are ten random thoughts floating in my head.


1) All I can think about right now is my PiYo Drench workout that I did this morning.  I was in Downward Facing Dog (my least favorite yoga pose EVER) and sweat was dripping off my thighs and my chin.  I was really sweaty.  And my legs still feel a little wobbly even sitting on the bus.  That workout was 48 minutes, so it's the longest one.  I kinda miss the beginning workouts that were only 20 minutes.  I will say my triceps pushups are getting better and Ivan actually noticed a smidgen of a muscle in my arm - so maybe I'm getting stronger....even if I spend a lot of time in child's pose!

2) An amazing thing happened this week.  Remember a few posts ago I mentioned that I wished I had a person that was 100% devoted to helping me out (for free - because I realize that that is a paid position)?  Well, God must have heard me because as I was complaining to my co-worker (for the umpteen millionth time), she said her dad might have an extra car that we could have.  Just like that.  And he did and he's willing to sell it to us for $1.  Not only that, but he's been running around town getting it ready and sprucing it up.  Yesterday he took it to get a new battery and was going to pay for it himself, and then when he explained that it was for someone who was going back to school and couldn't afford a car, the guy said he's donate the battery and put it in for free.  The whole this is just amazing to me and I feel like someone must really be looking out for me...because how often do people give you cars?  Never.  Even my parents didn't give me a car when I was in high school, I had to use all my savings bonds to buy their old car (mainly because they didn't have enough money to buy themselves another car, so they needed my money to put down a down payment on their new car - not because they were mean people or anything).  This car is significantly older, but it is still a gift that humbles me to the core.  And I do realize that nothing is free in this world and that it's gonna cost money to transfer the title, etc., and it's gonna cost gas money and maintenance and things like that, but it will be so helpful.  I can officially stop worrying about how I'm going to get to clinicals.

3) August has been a month of lasts.  Today is the last time I'll see my favorite co-worker (she's going on vacation next week), I had my last staff meeting on Tuesday, my last DC commute is coming up, my last paycheck, my last partner call, etc.  September will be a month of firsts.  First time wearing scrubs, first nursing lab, first nursing class, first time working as a consultant, etc.  What an exciting and scary time this is!  My stomach is in a constant state of butterflies.

4) Yesterday I tried Oats in a Jar for the very first time.


I had a bit of peanut butter left so I just put my oatmeal in there and warmed it up in the jar.  That way what was left of the peanut butter was softened and melted right into my oatmeal.  It was delicious.  I don't buy peanut butter too often because I eat it too fast, but the next time I do I will definitely be making this again!

5) Today I am going out for lunch, courtesy of my favorite co-worker.  We are going to i Ricci and I CANNOT WAIT.  I have already looked at the menu a million times as I drool thinking about what I'm going to order.  I love Italian food and rarely get it because Ivan doesn't like it.  Plus, lunch with my friend is always spectacular.

6) Evan got a new bedroom set yesterday.  Some close golf friends of ours had an entire bedroom set (bed, mattress, box spring, dresser, night stand, desk) that they were getting rid of and asked if we might want it for Evan.  Umm, yes please!!  Even though he still sleeps in our bed, one day he will need his own bed and this bedroom set is beautiful.  The wood is in amazing condition and is super high-quality.  I can't wait to decorate his room (on a budget...).

7) I can't decide what to do for Evan's 2nd birthday.  I know I don't want a party, but I still want to do something special.  A cook-out at the lake?  A family bike ride?  A trip to the zoo?  Rocks at the Nature Center?  I don't know.  I have to work that morning because another coach will already be gone, so we'll have to celebrate in the afternoon, but I still want it to be something he really enjoys.  We'll see.  Birthdays are stressful.  We are thinking of buying him a balance bike but I can't decide.  Anyone out there have a balance bike for their kids?  Do they like it?  Hate it?

8) Talking about sleeping.  Last night we had a super cuddle session in our bed.  Evan slept in my arms all night long, curled up right next to me.  I loved every minute of it.  When he does eventually move to his own bed, I will be a bit sad.  Cuddle time during the middle of the night is the best thing ever.

9) Ivan has liked every dinner I've made all week.  It's a miracle.  After ever dinner he has said, "That was a great dinner" (well, he says it in Spanish so I guess he doesn't say that exactly) and he only says that when he means it.  Often he says, "Thanks for dinner, it was ok but maybe don't make it again".  I make sure to write down all the dinners he likes so that I keep them in good rotation.  His favorite meal to date is my mom's Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup.  He asks for it at least once a week and I make it probably twice a month.

10) On Facebook it's Throwback Thursday, so I figure I'll post my pic here too. 


This is an old picture from college (I'm sure it's obvious, but I'm the girl on the left in the gray Army shirt) - the first time I went to college.  We had a Model OAS team and each spring we'd head to DC to compete with all the other teams.  Our school took it mega-serious (although plenty of others took it as a time to party in DC) and it was a super stressful class, but I have some great memories from that time.  And surprisingly I am still friends with some of these girls!  I really hope I meet some amazing people in nursing school, although it will be hard to top the amazing people I met in undergrad and graduate school previously.  As exampled above - I really do have very special and amazing friends that I probably don't deserve.  Over the years they have done so many things for me and I'm not really sure I've done as many things for them.  Hopefully one day I can repay everyone for all they have given me in life.

Ok - those are my ten random thoughts!

*****************************

Tell me two random things floating around in your head.

Did you love or hate college?  Are you still friends with your college friends?

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you to get a car, how lucky.
    We have a balance bike for Jonas and he loves it, though it wasn't until this spring he really took to it, and now he loves his bike with training wheels. Though several people have told me that kids who have had balance bikes are faster at learning to ride a real bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the donations coming your way! We had some people be extremely generous to us in our early lives, so we promised ourselves (and God) to "pay it forward" for the rest of our lives. Remember that young couple you meet 20 years from now! :-) I know you will - you are always thinking about the other person and what you can do for them. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely try to pay it forward as much as possible too! It's a nice feeling being able to do that and to help someone out.

      Delete
  3. I can't help thinking that maybe, just maybe, it's your turn to be the amazing person that someone else will be meeting in nursing school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The car thing is HUGE. Seriously. That is so amazing, and I'm so thankful good stuff is happening for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile!!