12 August 2014

Transitions

Yesterday another graze box came.  Yum!  If you want to try a graze box, you can use my code at KATTRI44B and get your 1st and 5th box free.  I am loving it!  And I am not being paid to promote them or anything, I just thought I would share.


It is kind of fun seeing what little snacks come in each box.  I probably won't get too many more because once I start school I can't really justify buying a snack box once a week for $6, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.  For some reason I tend to migrate towards the sweet snacks rather than the savory so far.  Today I'll try a more savory one.

Yesterday I also wrote my first "transitions" email.  That's a euphemism for "I am leaving my job and won't be seeing you anymore".   I just sent it out to two people, my two partners on my current grant.  I will send out another email to everyone else I work with later this week.  It's sad and my eyes tear up a bit at thinking that this stage of my life is ending soon.  I really do love my current job and although there are plenty of frustrations, it is a great job and a great organization to work for.  I realize I will probably never have such a flexible work environment and such freedom to design and carry out a project. 

I also started to pack up my office.  When I first started here I brought a lot of stuff from home to decorate.  I figured that I spent more time in my office than I did at home so it should make me happy.  And it did.  It was filled with photos of friends and family, gifts from  Honduras, and various other trinkets.  Now it is all getting packed up and will probably just go into a closet at home since we don't really have any place to put it.  It really makes my office look bare though.


That's where I had a lot of decorations...and now, so much emptier.

I have agreed to consult ten hours a week, so I am not gone completely.  I just won't be going to the office anymore and will only be interacting with a few people.  It'll be different.  And hopefully I'll still have plenty of time to study.

Change is tough!  

And I'm not sure people really get it.  Everyone comments about how excited I must be - and I am - but on Sunday my neighbor hit it right on the dot.  She said, "You must be really scared" and she was right.  As excited as I am about heading back to school and finally pursing nursing, something I have wanted to do for years, I am terrified.  More scared than excited.  It is incredibly scary quitting my comfortable job, losing my salary and benefits, and embarking on an entirely new career not having any idea how the future will turn out.  Plunging my family into even more debt and just hoping it all works out.  Exciting, yes, but more than that -it's just down right scary.  Maybe one of the scariest things I've ever done.  Joining the Peace Corps and living in Honduras for two years was pretty scary too, but I think this is even more so.  My life motto has always been "Don't let fear stand in the way of your dreams" and when I make a decision I try to think about what I'd do if fear wasn't a factor.  And then I do that.  So, that's what I'm doing.  Yes, it's scary leaving my job.  Yes, it's scary taking out thousands of dollars in loans.  Yes, it's scary leaving my current career.  However, if I take all that fear away, nursing is what I want.  Therefore, I'm going for it.  And that's that.  

And for all you doubters out there, I've put a lot of thought into this - I didn't just decide it on a whim.  I didn't choose nursing because becoming a doctor was too hard.  And no, I don't want to be a Physician's  Assistant or work in Medical Administration.  I realize nurses are underpaid and overworked.  I know I'm not going to become rich.  However, if you know me, you'll know that becoming rich has never been a dream of mine.  I want to become a nurse because I care about people and I want to help them, take care of them, and advocate for them.  It's that simple.  And in case you're wondering - yes, about 90% of the people I tell about nursing school suggest some other degree: doctor, PA, medical admin, etc.  It's annoying and doesn't help my fear factor.

And that's the end of my rant.  :-)

And now a complete change of subject.  Yesterday I went on a 4.5 mile run.  I felt nice and strong the entire way.  I really think it must be the PiYo workouts I'm doing.  It must really be making me stronger.  Who knew that strength training could be so effective!!  I've only been reading that you should do it for years - this is the first time I've really been serious about it.  And it appears to be working pretty well.  Today I did PiYo Buns.  I was really excited about it because of my weak glute problem, so hopefully it will help.  All I know is I did a ton of squats.  Since I do it so early in the morning I'm kind of still asleep throughout the entire workout.  My legs feel a bit rubbery though, so I know I must have done something right.

Ok - I'm gonna take a snooze on the bus.  I hope you have a fabulous day!

 **********************************

What is your life motto?

What's the scariest decision you've ever made?  How did it turn out? Please share!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you for following your dreams and callings, whatever they may be. Nursing school would be terrifying for me, but I think of you as someone who is braver and maybe loves college more than I did. ;-) You are so courageous and I'm looking forward to following your journey through this next phase in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I don't love college by any means. I love learning and I love that aspect but I find college to be as anxiety-ridden as you find traveling. It is definitely not my happy place - my perfectionist self does not deal well with the fact that I can't be perfect at everything and it makes me very anxious and full of insecurities. Not fun. I just try to keep the end in mind - that there is an end and that I will get there. Just like how you still travel even if it is pure torture to get to the place you want to go.

      Delete

Your comments make me smile!!