25 September 2012

Maple Baby's Birth Story: Part II

Ok, on with the birth story!

When I got to the birthing center (around 4pm) they examined me and found I was 5cm dilated.  And then the midwife accidentally broke my water.  Whoops!  So, I guess I was in active labor and I wasn't going anywhere.  We headed upstairs to the birthing room and I hopped into the jacuzzi.  I had been so excited about hopping into a nice warm bath!  We don't have a bathtub at our place (well, we do but it has cracks in it so I don't like to fill it with water) and I felt like a nice warm bath would be awesome.  And it was!  I hung out in the tub for an hour or so.  Actually, I have no idea how long I was there.  It felt like forever.  The contractions were getting stronger and eventually I felt like I couldn't handle it anymore.  I called hubs and asked him to push on my back again and as he was trying to relieve my pain, I decided that it was too much.  I had had enough of these stupid contractions.

I called my sister to tell her not to come.  She had been planning on stopping by later in the evening, but I decided I was in too much pain and didn't want her to stop by.  I told her to just wait until the baby was born and come then. 

I also decided that I wanted to go to the hospital to get an epidural.  I think Hubs was relieved because he hated seeing me in so much pain.  So, he helped me out of the tub and I put all my clothes on (yup, I was sitting in the tub buck naked - I had no modesty at this point) and waited for the midwife to come back.  I was bouncing around on the birthing ball trying to manage the pain, but it wasn't helping too much.  When he, the midwife, came back I told him my decision to go to the hospital.  He was super calm and suggested we see how far along I was and maybe try a few other options before heading to the hospital (in retrospect it was obvious I was in transition - the stage of labor where you want to give up - and he was trying to stall me until I started pushing).  At that point I was 8cm dilated (it had been about two hours) and they were shocked at how fast I was progressing.  The midwife said that we could try a TENS unit to help mitigate some of the pain.  I had heard of this because Red Boots used one during her labor, so I decided to give it a shot.

While he went off to find the TENS unit, I writhed around on the bed in pain.  I tried "mooing" like a cow because I had read in Ina May's Guide to Childbirth book that "mooing" helped.  Well, maybe it helps in the beginning but it sure didn't help much at this point.  I felt like I was in the middle of one large contraction that never ended.  Eventually a nurse stopped in and suggested that I try and use the bathroom because sometimes if you have a full bladder it pushes on the uterus and makes it contract.  At this point I was willing to try anything, so headed to the bathroom.  She turned out to be right - the minute I used the bathroom my contractions got a tad bit lighter. 

They then came and hooked me up to the TENS unit.  They put two patches on my back and turned up the electricity until my pain got a bit lighter.  It actually seemed to work.  It didn't take all my pain away but it made it a lot more bearable.

And then I got the urge to start pushing...

2 comments:

  1. eeek..exciting! I had an epidural with both of my babies and it was glorious. I slept through my labor and by the time I had to push I was ready to go. Except with Jackson. Oh, that epidural wore off and it completely solidified my love of an epidural because delivering without an epidural was awful. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can see how an epidural would be wonderful! I hadn't been able to sleep in almost 24 hours and I hadn't been able to keep any food down, so I was exhausted by the time it came to push. I will have to see what I do if I have another baby in the future. Every day the memory of the pain seems to disappear a bit more!

      Delete

Your comments make me smile!!