16 August 2012

Bump Shot: 36 Weeks


I seem to have grown a LOT in the last few days.  My shirts are getting a tad bit too small.  It is hard to find something that covers the bump appropriately!  Luckily I don't have too much time left at work, so I only need outfits for three more weeks.  Then I can wear the same thing every day.  :-)

Here are some thoughts on Week 36:

* Still sleeping fine.  This is amazing to me.  I sometimes have to get up around 3am and use the bathroom, but that's about it.  I pretty much fall asleep ten seconds after crawling into bed and hardly wake up at all.  And when I do wake up (i.e. to switch sides or cuddle with hubs) I just fall back asleep again.  And this happened even when I wasn't pregnant, so I can't actually blame it on pregnancy.  My body is going to go into shock when I am awake all night with Maple Baby.

* I have been feeling nauseous every once in a while.  Not sure why, and not sure if it's pregnancy-related, but it's annoying.  It's especially annoying on the bus.  I hate feeling sick on the bus.

* I am tired all the time.  Ugh, this is the worst.  I have so much work to get done and prep to do before taking leave and this is not the time to want to crawl under my desk and take a nap.  I have been trying to beat the sleepiness by taking walks every day and standing up and shaking around (I think my across the alley - window mates thing I'm crazy).  It's not helping all that much.  It also hasn't helped that hubs and I have had things to do every night this week.  Makes for a tired evening too.

* I will never get tired of people being nice to me.  Yesterday while walking around the White House a stranger came up to me and said, "What a beautiful baby you're going to have!" and kept walking.  How nice!

* I will be happy when people stop giving me their opinions on everything.  The rude comments on my size have stopped, but people still constantly tell me that the baby's dropped or the baby hasn't dropped or the baby's big or my belly's pointed, and numerous other things.  Of course one person says one thing and then two seconds later someone else says the exact opposite.  I just politely agree with everyone.  And then people keep asking, "How do you feel?" in a way that makes me think they are waiting for me to feel horrible.  I always say I feel great - even if I feel horrible - just because I don't want to give them the satisfaction of thinking that I feel horrible.  I know they are probably just trying to be nice and I'm SURE I did the exact same thing to other pregnant people, but now I know to not do it!  Or maybe I am just extra sensitive.  I did read a story about a man floating his arthritic dog and shed a few tears.  It's possible my hormones are out of whack.

* On Tuesday hubs and I met with our Doula(s).  We actually have two.  They were both really nice.  I'm still a bit apprehensive about having extra people in the room while I'm giving birth and writhing around in pain, but if they can make the experience a bit easier than I guess it's worth it.  And people say that modesty goes out the door during labor - so hopefully that's true.  I wasn't going to have a Doula except that the birthing center recommended it.  Johns Hopkins School of Nursing has a community doula program for metro DC/Baltimore so we don't have to pay anything.  We never could have afforded $300, which is the going doula rate in the area.

* The baby room and hospital bag still haven't been accomplished!  I tried hard to get it done and did buy a few items to put in the bag.  And I washed a bunch of our diapers.  So that was progress, right?  Oh, and I put our baby clothes in the dresser.  I think that was about it.  This weekend I'm gonna make some more progress.

I am still in a bit of disbelief that I am so far along.  I just have to make it to 37 weeks and I can give birth in the birthing center.  And then I have to make sure the baby comes out before the 42nd week!  I can't wait to meet the little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile!!