I have come to discover that what I think is a healthy diet is not what Ivan thinks is a healthy diet. And even though I’ve taken nutrition, read a bunch of nutrition articles related to running, and studied public health, my husband refuses to believe me. Apparently he is a nutrition expert. Here is an example of his expertise:
Him: “Honey, I think I’m going to stop drinking Pepsi and Coke because it is making me fat.”
Me: “That’s probably true because Pepsi and Coke are not the healthiest drinks in the world".”
Him: “I think I should drink Fanta instead. When you go grocery shopping, can you buy Fanta instead of Pepsi.”
Me: “Umm, Fanta is just as bad as Pepsi is.”
Him: “No, Fanta is much healthier. Fanta and grape soda are much better for you than Pepsi or Coke.”
Me: “No, they are the same. If you want to drink something healthy, you should drink water or flavored seltzer water or something. Anything with less sugar.”
Him: “No, Fanta is healthy. Can you just buy me Fanta?”
Me: “Ok, whatever, I’ll get you Fanta. But it’s not healthier.”
Yeah, that was our conversation. So, instead of Pepsi, I bought Fanta. I also bought soy meat and turkey bacon – real healthy food. He is a funny guy. It’s amazing what he learned as a kid – and still believes. And what he refuses to believe. I told him if he is worried about getting fat there are MANY other foods he should eliminate from his diet starting with buffalo wings, hot dogs, bags of chips, etc. He’s apparently only ready to change from Pepsi to Fanta.
Small steps right? I’m hoping he makes a small step toward washing the dishes too….
This post made me laugh. Men are so funny, aren't they? They get in their head what they think is right and don't want to hear it from us. My husband does the same thing. Although, I work really hard to eat right and exercise a lot and lose 10 pounds in 3 months. He drinks one less soda a day and will lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks. *sigh* Not fair.
ReplyDelete