04 August 2010
Bark, Bark!!
Do any of you lovely readers out there speak another language? Do you remember what it was like when you confused words?
I took hubs to the dentist last night and he reminded me of the first time we went to the dentist. I went back into the exam room with him because he doesn't speak English and I wanted to be able to translate for him. Since this was his first dentist appointment the dentist wanted to take a bunch of x-rays.
Do you remember how when you get dental x-rays you have to bite on those plastic pieces?
Well, I was a bit confused and unsure of my dental Spanish, so when he had to bit I said:
LADRAS!
Well, ladrar is the Spanish word for BARK! Not bite!
Bite is MORDER!!
So, throughout the entire appointment I kept telling him to bark. He actually didn't remind me until later that night that I had the words confused.
I thought it was hilarious.
And now, every time we go to the dentist he starts barking - just to remind! It keeps us laughing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hahaha I have had so many moments like that where I mix up my words. The best was when I kept referring to Jose's grandma's weelchair as silla de rodillas (knee chair) instead of silla de ruedas... oh man... such memories, it's a good thing his family likes me cause I say dumb/hilarious stuff alll the time ;)
ReplyDeletethat is really, really funny! i'm laughing out loud for real! i have the most hilarious image in my head of the look on his face when you told him to bark at the dentist :)
ReplyDeletea friend of mine is from Paraguay and she once dated a Mexican man. she had a situation happen when she went to church with him and his family in Mexico... and the word for "jacket" in her dialect was not the same in his, but she didn't know that... and as the mass was wrapping up, she was asking her boyfriend's father to get her jacket for her... but she had no idea that in their dialect it meant "foreskin"! can you imagine the look on their faces, as she is telling them over and over again, in church, to get her foreskin for her?
if i was her i think i would have died, seriously! she laughs when she tells the story though :)