31 July 2010

The end of our mini-moon

Our mini-moon is coming to an end today.  You may be thinking, hey, I didn't realize that you went anywhere.  Well, we didn't.  However, my sister, her husband, and her daughter have been at the beach all week so hubs and I have had the house to ourselves.

We actually love living with my sis and her fam which is why we haven't moved out.  I moved in with them right after I left Peace Corps and thought it would be temporary - until I found a job.  Then I found a job and started paying rent and thought I'd stay until they got married (they could use my rent money for wedding stuff and we'd all be happy).  Then my sis said that just because they were getting married didn't mean I had to move out, and we both loved living together so I figured, why not stay?  So I stayed, thinking I'd move out when they started having kids.  Well, they got pregnant on their honeymoon.  And I still stayed, to help with the baby of course.  Then it was time for hubs to move to the US and I figured, ok, it's getting crowded I think we'll move out.  Then my sis said that hubs was welcome to live with us and I didn't have to move out, and I thought it might be good for him to have other people in the house rather than him sitting alone in an apartment.  So, I thought we'd move out this summer.  Then my sis asked if we'd consider staying another year until they sold their other townhouse and I talked to hubs and we figured it's be fine to stay.  So we stayed.  Now, sis is pregnant with baby number two and we're thinking next summer we'll move out - because with four adults and two children in a three-bedroom townhouse it might get crowded.  We'll see what happens right!

For now I don't think anyone minds - we all get along and enjoy each other's company.  However, I must admit that it's also fun to have the house to ourselves.  So when sis and her family headed out to the beach last week hubs and I were excited to have a second mini-moon!  Not that we did anything special, but we did things we don't usually do - like BBQ on the grill, buy weird food that my sis and her hubs wouldn't eat, make smoothies at 10pm when my sis and her hubs and the baby are usually asleep (the loud blender would definitely wake them up), go for runs when we usually eat dinner, eat dinner at 9pm, etc.  It's been fun.

However, I do miss my sis and I really miss baby P...althought I don't miss chasing her around the house while trying to fight the dog off and stop her from feeding him all her food.  But I miss her smile and her laughter.

So, although we've had a great week on our mini-moon, we also look forward to them coming home.  I think one of the things I wish the most is having lots of family around.  My other sis lives in Texas and my parents live in Vermont and I really wish we all lived nearby so we could hang out as much as lil' sis and I do.  I think people in the neighborhood think we are weird because there are SOOOO many people living in our townhouse, but I think it's nice to live with family.  As I get older, the limited time we have with people on Earth becomes more real - friends and family get diagnosed with cancer, have heart attacks, become sick, etc. and the more this happens the more I want all the people I love as close to me as possible.  So, it's nice living with my sis for now...although eventually we'll have to leave.  I don't know if we'll all fit when hubs and I decide to start our family....

But serious, who wouldn't want to live with this stinker-winker?

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I am really close with my family too. We don't live together, but I'm less than a mile from my parents and my sister is about 15 minutes away. I see them super often and I wouldn't have it any other way. What made us so close is growing up in the military. It was always just us four when we got started in a new place. The four of us can do anything and help each other through anything. Here's to great families!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me smile!!