29 May 2013

It’s a Wrap!

A few people have asked about what type of baby carrier I like, so I thought I would do a quick review of each one.  Just like breast pumps, I think I have tried just about ever baby carrier out there.  Ok, so that’s not true.  But I have tried and used a lot.  I have a Baby Bjorn original, a Maya wrap, a Moby wrap, an Ergo, a Kelty Summit Backpack, and a Baby Mei Tai.  I didn’t buy all of them and some of them I bought used, but I have tried them all. 

Evan loved the Baby Bjorn when he was little, and he really loved that he could face out (although some say this is bad for a baby).  I used it a lot when I went grocery shopping or walking the dog.  Then Evan got big and it started to hurt my back.  So I don’t use it any more. 

DSCN1625
Using the Baby Bjorn while visiting my parents in Vermont.

The Maya wrap was given to me and I never actually used it.  It was too complicated.  I watched a few videos on You Tube on how to use it, but if I have to practice it a lot of time before getting it right – it’s not really for me.

I bought a used Moby wrap because when Evan was little he liked to cuddle really close to me.  I used it a few times but it was very complicated and so much fabric.  I was also never sure if Evan was in correctly or not, when he was tiny.  I know a lot of people who love the Moby though, so who knows.  I gave it to a friend of mine who was pregnant (along with the Maya wrap).

DSCN1447
Evan in the Moby – disregard my hideous hair and dirty mirror!

The Ergo was my sister’s and it was her favorite baby carrier of all time.  She used it a ton with her first two kids.  I tried it when Evan was little, but the infant carrier was too complicated for me.  I did use it when he got older and he didn’t mind it too much.  It is a little bulky to carry around (didn’t fit so well in the diaper bag), but it is super comfortable.

DSCN1728
Evan and me using the Ergo – and getting poured on.  Again, disregard my face.

The Kelty Backpack was given to us by one of Ivan’s co-workers.  I like it and downloaded the
instructions off the internet (it can be a bit complicated to adjust, etc.).  It reminds me of the college days when I was in Army ROTC and we had to walk/run around with ruck sacks.  Sometimes I put Evan in there when he wants to be held but I have to cook dinner or wash the dishes.  We haven’t used it hiking yet, but I am excited to try it out.  Evan loves being so high and able to see everything.  He’s never cried while in there.

kelty
On our balcony after washing dishes.

The Baby Mei Tai is my newest baby carrier.  My sister took back the Ergo to use with her daughter so I wanted something easy that I could put Evan in both on my chest and on my back.  I had heard good things about the Mei Tai and I went to our local consignment shop and tried it out.  The lady there gave me a demonstration on how to use it and I was hooked.  It is not too complicated to put on and folds up really small.  Evan loves it so far and goes in it both on my back and on my chest.  I use this all the time now.  It’s also a thin piece of fabric so I don’t think it will be too hot to use during the summer (at least no hotter than just holding him – I’m sure we’ll get all sweaty).

DSC04681
After a particular downpour – we always seem to use a carrier when it starts pouring out!

mei tai
Evan asleep on my back in the mei tai – he’s a bit far down but if he’s too close then he pulls all my hair out!

So that is my review – not too detailed, but hopefully thorough enough.  My suggestion would be to try them out before buying them.  I think different people prefer different ones, so it’s good to get a sense of what would work best with you.  It’s also important to think about your baby’s personality.  My friend’s son hated being cuddled and never liked any baby carrier because he wanted more space to move around.  I tend to use the wraps more around the house than actually outside.  I like the BOB for going on walks because it’s easier with the dog (the stroller can block him from other dogs – he wants to play with every dog we pass), and Evan likes being able to move around and play with his toys.  I do use the wraps for grocery shopping a lot and for running errands – it is super easy to fold up in my diaper bag and grab if Evan starts getting antsy in the shopping cart.

What baby carrier did you use?  Like best?  Wish you had tried?

2 comments:

  1. I never used a carrier, but looking back I don't know why, these are so great, I would have been able to do so much more, not having your hands tied up with the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a second you should definitely use a carrier! They are amazing and you can easily do so much with the baby attached. Two free hands are priceless!

      Delete

Your comments make me smile!!