I don’t really remember being forgetful when I was pregnant. I guess maybe I was, but I don’t remember it being a problem. I never remember forgetting my keys or forgetting tasks or dates. I remember people warning me about pregnancy brain and how growing a human uses so much brain power that I would become stupid. I just don’t think it happened. And then this little guy showed up:
And now I can’t remember anything. It’s a tragedy. I am forgetting things left and right. And I’m not really sure if I can blame this lovable little monster. I mean, with a smile like that, pretty much everything is forgotten, right?
But then again, it could be lack of sleep or stress or age, right?
Whatever it is, I need a remedy. I have forgotten so many things at work that I have to write things down on the back of old business cards and stick them up everywhere. It’s not enough to flag emails because I get too many emails and the flags go onto another page and then I forget about them. It’s not enough to make a To Do list – the list gets too long and some of the things get lost in the list and I forget about them. So, now the second an email comes in that needs some action – I have to stop and do it (if it will take less than 5 minutes) or I write it on a business card and tape it to my computer. Every day I come in and I put the cards in order and I do them.
At home I’ve had to makes lists for EVERYTHING. I have a list of what I need in my lunch (so I don’t pack milk and forget oatmeal), I have a list of what goes in the diaper bag for my sister, I have a list of the things I need to do before going to bed, I have a list of the things I need to cook for the week, etc. So many lists. I should probably make a list of the lists so I don’t forget to look at one.
P.S. Just a complete aside. There are rodents living in my ceiling and it is grossing me out. As I sit here typing this the house is super quiet and I can hear a rodent running across my ceiling over and over again. I haven’t seen any signs of rodents in my house (i.e. mice poop, etc.) but I KNOW there is something living up there and it is giving me the heebie geebies.
Well, today I realized that I now need a list for school. We had an extra credit assignment (at least I hope it’s extra credit) that was worth 50 points. It was a 50 question test that we had to do online. You got two attempts which made it extra easy because if you did the first one, if gave you the answer to the questions you got wrong. So pretty much – the second time should be a breeze. I forgot to do it. I NEVER forget to do homework assignments. And I have no excuse. I was home on Friday. I was actually working Friday night because I distinctly remember emailing my coworker at 10pm. Was I taking the online test? NOOOOOOOOOO! I’m not sure how I forgot. I guess because it wasn’t on the syllabus so I wasn’t thinking about it as much. We have a paper due on Wednesday and I have been thinking about that – but somehow I forgot to think about this stupid online exam. Boo.
It makes me so mad. I want my memory back. I want my brain back. I am tired of making lists and forgetting things and making more lists. I just want to remember things again!
Memory, can we be friends again? Please move back into my head.
I know where you are coming from, I feel like I forget so many things too, I do believe it's a bit stress related. I make tons of lists too, but some things I forget to put on the list, thinking I can remember that, and then I forget!
ReplyDeleteI do the same thing - thinking that I will remember something and not putting it on the list. Then I forget it. Or I want to put in on the list but forget to write it down. GRRR! So frustrating!
DeleteYou're not alone! Not sure if it's just getting older, having more on our minds as parents, dealing with a lack of sleep, or what, but I'm in the same boat you are. I'm a major list person. My memory was never a steel trap, like my husband's is, but it's gotten dramatically worse.
ReplyDelete