This past weekend was a bit crazy and out of the ordinary. Which is why I didn’t get a chance to write about it until now (that and because I’ve become addicted to Parenthood and can’t stop watching it). But I guess better late than never. At least that is my philosophy for many things.
I was so excited because I finally got to go to Johns Hopkins School of Nursing Open House on Saturday.
I have wanted to go to nursing school for a long time, since I was in college actually. It just never seemed to be the “right" time. I know that sounds cliché, but it’s true. For some reason I was always pulled to follow a different path, knowing that one day I would follow the path to becoming a nurse. Looking back on it, I’m glad I followed those other paths. First, I loved everything I did – going to grad school for public health, joining the Peace Corps, meeting my husband, finding my current job, etc. – and I would not have had any of those experiences if I had gone to nursing school when it first occurred to me.
However, now after all these years, I am almost finished with my pre-reqs and looking at finally applying to nursing school. It’s a bit of a daunting feat – especially thinking about quitting my job when my salary supports myself, my husband, and our baby. I just keep hoping it will all work out. So, this past weekend was an Open House for Hopkins Nursing School – my #1 choice. Yes, I realize that Hopkins is the #1 nursing school in the country and the chances that I’d get in are a little slim – but you should dream big right?
All I can tell you is that going to the Open House REALLY made me want to go. It is an amazing school and everyone was sooooooooooo nice (as I’m sure they always are when they want you to apply). They have so many programs and opportunities – it sounded exactly like what I wanted. The main reason I even thought to apply was because they have a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer program, which fits right into my line of interests, but after the open house I realized that there are many other things that draw me to their program specifically.
I guess I am just glad that I have some time to really work on my application. And find some amazing scholarships. Hopkins is NOT cheap and I don’t have any money. I refuse to take out private loans for school, so if I don’t get enough federal loans and scholarships then I will have to take a different route. We shall see what is in store for my future.
We also celebrated my sister’s bday this weekend. Fun times! I love birthdays, especially when they aren’t mine. It is always fun/crazy going to my sister’s house. I swear, her kids are the funniest, sweetest, craziest, hyper-ist, kiddos around. Just that night her older daughter was running around, slipped, and busted her lip open. And that has happened before! Plus, it’s so adorable because they love Evan so much and shower him with kisses – especially the middle daughter. And there was cake. I love cake!
So, that was my weekend. Fun times for all!
Go big or go home right? I know you have the determination (and fabulous recommendations) to convince Hopkins. When is the application due? Do you apply for the program in general, or do you have to pick some type of sub-specialty from the beginning? I know you will be a wonderful nurse! Taking the time to travel, work in Honduras & DC and start a family, will make you a better professional. You've seen it all, and while you're always encouraging better choices, you accept folks for who they are. That's what I love about you AND about my favorite health-care providers. They respect my right to choose (sometimes badly!) for myself, but are always educating. I'm so excited you're looking at school in the Baltimore area. 'Cause you know I'm not living in Salisbury forever!
ReplyDeleteExactly, go big or go home! The application isn't due until January, since I missed the deadline this year. So, I have plenty of time. I am planning to apply for the BSN-MSN segue program, where you get accepted to both right away. It is specific to the nursing school, so it's not like I have to apply to Hopkins in general and then specify the nursing school. I think I have to say what I want to get my MSN in, and I'm pretty sure I want Family Nurse Practitioner, but you can change it after you get in without too many problems. And I hope you're not in Salisbury forever, I miss you! I got spoiled when you were unemployed and could do anything any time! Of course I'm happy you found a job because no one is happy unemployed, but I sure miss having you around.
DeleteOh good luck! If it's what you really want to do, there is always a way. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Sara! I am hoping there is a way! I feel like if it's meant to be, something good will come along, right? Hope you are doing well!
Delete