In all honesty, sometimes it's relaxing. Here in the U.S. I sometimes feel confused by what I want and what I was taught to want and what society wants - I've spent my entire life educating myself and working hard to succeed professionally. This felt great until I realized I also wanted a family. - I can't work and stay home and take care of my (future) kids. Now that I'm married - life has become more confusing. The drive I have at work is competing with the drive I have to create a home for my husband. At times all I want is to have kids and stay home with them and not think about daycare and working until 7pm and missing out on their childhood and having another person raise them more than myself. Other days I want to learn more and work hard and touch people's lives. Yes, living in my head is confusing!
However, in Honduras it is simple. I know exactly what my role is in Honduras - and I'm fine with that because I only have to do it for a short period of time
So, here is what my average day was like in Honduras:
1. Wake up at around 6:30am.
2. Soak clothes in bucket with detergent.
3. Make breakfast with Heydi (Honduran sister) for family (including my husband).
![]() | |
| Baleadas - a traditional Honduran breakfast food (toasted flour tortilla with beans, eggs, avocado, and Honduran sour cream) Yum-a-licous!! |
5. Wash clothes by hand in pila.
6. Sweep and mop house.
7. Take a shower and get dressed.
8. Get started on lunch.
![]() |
| Pollo guisado - this is one of Ivan's favorite. If I make it this weekend I'll be sure to take photos! |
![]() |
| The kitchen gets dirty really quickly and in about 5 seconds everything is covered in ants. Not pleasant. |
10. Visit with friends.
![]() |
| Every afternoon I headed off to visit old friends - this is Dinora, one of the health center nurses I worked with when I lived there. |
11. Relax for a bit.
![]() |
| My favorite place to relax is the hammock. Trust me - after all that work, a short cat-nap in a hammock does a lot to revive you! |
12. Start cooking dinner.
14. Take another shower.
15. Go to church (if there is a church event that night).
16. Come home and go to bed (after watching numerous novelas).
17. Repeat the following day.
And although that probably sounds so horrible to many of you, I actually loved it.
I loved knowing what my role was and fulfilling it.
I loved the simple routine of it all.
I loved cooking and cleaning with my Honduran family.
I loved taking care of my husband and making him proud.
I loved the feeling of completely belonging in an adopted country.
I loved actually being a Honduran wife.
However, keep in mind I was only there for TEN DAYS.
This is what hubby did all day...
![]() |
I think I would have gotten really annoyed on day 11 or 12. But luckily we didn't stay that long so I was completely content!
So, I guess that gives you an idea of what my days were like on my "vacation"!









I love getting a glimpse into your "Honduran wife" life. I also enjoy the photos very much. I am always concerned with the washing of the clothes over there without a washing machine. I imagine it taking all day long! The rest of cooking & cleaning, I don't mind a bit. P.S ~ my solution to the work/children dilemma is that I work part time, just 4 days per week while the kids are at school. I still take them & pick them up every day & I have weekends & evenings at home with my kids. Just have to find the perfect "fit" when it comes to work. Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteI am so sad I missed you guys :( and the baleadas of course lol Hubby doesn't want to take off of work until he has vacation time so my tickets are still patiently waiting to be used. I haven't been blogging because I am so busy with school but I still read yours and I love your blog :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know how I've stumbled upon your blog, but I'm already captured! It's so cool, I can't wait to read more :)
ReplyDelete