14 May 2010

A Review of My Wedding: The Church



Every since I thought about marrying my hubs, I envisioned us getting married in the Catholic church.  I was raised Catholic and although I stopped going to church regularly in high school, I still think of myself as Catholic.  And I still felt like to be really married I needed to be married in the church.

Well, apparently the Church didn't really want that.  Since I was getting married in Vermont, I spoke with the priest at the church close to my parents house.  He wasn't too interested in marrying us.  The Catholic church requires that couples wanting to get married attend marriage classes, meet with the priest, and pass a compatability test.  Hubs and I had less than three months between his arrival and our marriage and the priest just didn't think there was enough time.  There were many stumbling blocks, like hubs not being baptized, not speaking English, etc.  I think maybe if we'd belong to that church they might have tried harder, but this priest pretty much told me he wouldn't put forth the effort and he even wondered how compatable we were. 

What did that mean?  The Catholic church was out.

However, I didn't want to give up on getting married in a church so I decided to get married in the church across the street from my reception location. 

Middlebury Congregational Church. 



I loved it.  It was the perfect Vermont/New England church. 

It was so quaint that I didn't even really need to decorate it. 



Although my dream of being married in the Catholic church didn't work out, I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to get married in a church.

And one so beautful.

Thank you church!!!

And thank you guest for filling the church with your presence and support.


2 comments:

Your comments make me smile!!