| Loving the bumbo! |
Returning to work was hard and easy at the same time. My sister was watching him when I first went back and since I knew she loved him and would take good care of him, I wasn't super worried dropping him off. However, I was still sad. It is hard thinking that he is going to grow up with someone else watching him and taking care of him. I didn't have a baby so someone else could raise him. Unfortunately we don't have enough money for me to stay home (and I make most of the money anyway, so I would definitely not be the one staying home), but I would do it in a minute if we did.
Going back to work wasn't quite so bad though. I like my work and I like the people I work with, so it could be worse. The minute I got back in line at the bus stop, it felt like I had never left. I turned the lights on in my office and it was like nothing changed. I slipped back into work mode super easily and the only adjustment is the fact that I have to pump all the time. Other than that, it felt like I had never left and that nothing had changed.
My first week back was a bit stressful, I admit. I had to get a presentation done to present at a legal conference in Chicago and then I had to fly out to Chicago on Thursday to present it. And while I was there, my sister went into labor and gave birth to a little girl 30 minutes before I got off the plane. And then I had a site visit by the CDC for my grant on Friday morning. Yikes! It was hard enough getting up at 4:30am to go to work, let alone flying to Chicago and back in one day, and preparing for site visits and presentations. It all worked out though and I recovered on the weekend.
![]() |
| This is what I wanted to do, but Evan beat me to it! |
I did relax a bit on Saturday, but then spent Sunday cooking and cleaning. I made Creamy Chicken Soup and Oven Baked Chimichangas for my sister (so she has some food for those first few days after giving birth) and then Sopa de Frijoles for my husband. Then I put our Christmas tree up (it's super tiny, a mere 2ft tall) and our holiday decorations (an advent calendar my mom made us and two stockings). I also did a load of lights, darks, towels, baby clothes, and diapers. Lots of laundry!!!
And now the weekend is over and the work week is about to start again.
![]() |
| Who wouldn't want to spend all day with me??? |


Kattrina - I feel so badly for you guys in the States with the short mat leaves. In Canada you get a year (paid via gov't unemployment insurance and topped up by some employers) and the father can take part of that if you want. Mind you, that is now -- when I had my girls, we had 17 weeks off and I actually went back at 13 just because I needed my full paycheck. It's nice for bumbo that he gets to spend his day with people who love him -- auntie, daddy or mommy!
ReplyDeletePS - He's a looker!
I would sure LOVE a year off - I didn't realize Canada gave that too. I figured I'd have to move to Denmark or something. I was lucky to get three months and lucky that my employer gave me a month of paid leave plus some short term disability. Yeah, we are behind the times in some ways!
DeleteI understand how you feel. Being a working mother is hard. I work 12 hour shifts and on those days I don't see my daughter at all. It's a means to an end though I guess. Also, I appreciate the fact that it makes me appreciate every moment I spend with her. -- Lisa @ I'm an Okie
ReplyDeleteThose 12 hour nursing shifts have to be tough!!! Do you get to work three shifts and then have four days off? That would be the only plus to that situation. When I come home from work I want to spend all my time with Evan, but really needs to go to bed shortly after I get home, even if I want to selfishly keep him up for a few hours to play. Hope your new job is going well though!
DeleteWhat a woman! You are amazing to work, nurse in the middle of the night, pump at work, etc. I have no idea how you do it. You are doing what's best for your family and I'm so impressed! :-)
ReplyDeleteI am not sure how I do it either! It would definitely help if Evan would go longer than 2-3 hours at night without needing to eat! I guess you just do what you have to and somehow get it all done. I will definitely look forward to vacations though! And days when I don't have to get up at 4:30am....
DeleteI hope you had a wonderful Christmas as a first time mommy. Did you head to Vermont? Just dropping by to say hi!
ReplyDelete