Here’s Dolce chewing on a bone while Evan plays on his floor mat (please ignore the mess). They look so happy, so content. Often people talk about how their dogs are overprotective of their children, often guarding their cribs while they sleep. There are stories of dogs and children saving each other, risking their lives for each other.
These are such cute stories.
But I’m here to tell you, there is little love lost between Dolce and Evan. Don’t forget, we rescued Dolce because he ate all the toys at my sister’s house and had to get a bib and a pacifier removed from his intestines (these were separate occasions, so we’re talking about two $3000 surgeries).
I admit, Ivan and I were stupid to rescue this mutt-ball when we were expecting our own child (I was a softie and hated to see him go to a rescue society). He was as well behaved as could be before Evan arrived though.
And now? I give you this:
Our $25 Miracle Blanket. Let me tell you, this swaddle blanket was definitely a miracle. We had tried the Velcro types like the SwaddleMe, but they did not work. Evan was like Houdini and could somehow get his arm stuck between the two Velcro flaps. This did not comfort him. He’d wake up frustrated with his arm half hanging out of the swaddle. I tried to swaddle him in receiving blankets but our blankets must have been too small because I couldn’t get them tight enough. About five minutes after swaddling him, his arm would be out (of course my sister could somehow swaddle him in the same blanket and he wouldn’t budge so it was obviously a failing on my part).
Then we tried this lovely Miracle Blanket – it had two mini flaps that were meant to secure his arms. Then you swaddled him on top of that. It was impossible for him to get his arms out (and for me to fail as a swaddler). It worked! After about a week of him protesting the swaddle, he finally started to calm down when we swaddled him and would doze off in minutes.
And then came Dolce.
We had installed some gates on the door of the nursery and our room in order to keep the dog from getting in there and causing damage. I’m not sure how, but he somehow learned to open the gate in our room (it’s one of those gates where you lift up and the gate door swings open) and would sneak in there. One day I came home and found my trash can in a completely different location – and certain things missing (like used breast pads – eeewww gross – guess he likes the scent of milk). I was relieved that the disposable diaper was still intact – I have a feeling lots of other dogs might have gotten into that (since we use cloth diapers we don’t have a diaper genie to put disposables in, so the few times we use them we just put them in the trashcan).
Then, on Saturday I came home to the above surprise. The Miracle Blanket had been chewed up and left for dead on the floor. One mini-arm flap was completely missing and a hole had been chewed in the back. As you can see, it is not useable. The miracle was in the mini-arm flaps.
That night I had to use the SwaddleMe and it was a complete failure. Both Evan and I were not happy. Yesterday I made an emergency trip to Babies R Us to get another Miracle Blanket. Unfortunately, there were NONE to be found. Not a single Miracle Blanket for purchase. I kind of panicked and when I calmed down I decided to buy a Halo Sleep Sack Swaddle and see how that worked. And just in case, I also bought a package of aden + anais Swaddle Blankets. I was desperate and didn’t really want to have to go back if one didn’t work.
Last night we tried the Halo Sleep Sack Swaddle and it seemed to work really well. He calmed down the minute we swaddled him up and he slept as well as he has any other night (or maybe a bit worse because he has a cold and is really congested). Thank you Halo.
Bad dog Dolce.
Dolce has also eaten one of Evan’s pajama outfits and some toy that I can’t figure out (I just found the plastic rattle thingie on the floor when I came home). Oh, and he also ate a corner of a really soft blanket. I am just hoping all these things go through his system and I’m not stuck with a $3000 vet bill.
It’s a dog-eat-baby-stuff nightmare over here!!! I don’t need a Baby Whisperer, I need the Dog Whisperer.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Your comments make me smile!!